Look at everything that's come and gone.
The clock is ticking on my time in Fredericton. There's really only a little more than 36 hours left. Not long at all. It seems I've packed more memories in this time then normal; it's like I'm making a point to take mental pictures and remember experiences. Almost every experience or memory has a song behind it. More often then not the lyrics of the songs can tell the story better than I can or they connect to that moment. Years later I'll hear the song and be back in that place or with that person.
Summer of '69 will always remind me of my father. Always. I remember when we owned the record before the CD. My mum gets On the Wings of a Dove, He Thinks He'll Keep Her and so much more. One of my aunts is the Phantom of the Opera Soundtrack. My sisters are dance music, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Nicks and musicals. Another of my aunts is Jewel, late '90s. One of my friends is Rehab by Amy Winehouse. I'll see her dancing around the flat singing into the hairbrush until the day I die. Another good friend of mine is Lady Gaga, her music will always remind me of this person.
There are moments connected to music too, especially this summer. M.I.A. reminds me of road trips into Memphis. Oh Susanna will always take me back to King's Landing. Bon Jovi "Livin' on a Prayer" will now be forever linked in my mind with my mum and I's backwoods road trip this afternoon. Disturbia will always be connected to this little sweetheart I babysat for this summer and dancing around her kitchen. There are so many more.
There are so many songs that are connected with this experience but there is one line of one particular song that sticks out. There is something very comforting about it, especially because there will be a lot of missing people in the first little while, on both sides. So here it is, one simple line that will always be connected to my last days of Canada:
"Even if you can not hear my voice, I'll be right beside you dear".
No comments:
Post a Comment