Monday, October 5, 2009

Rain Fell Down...

I am an inconsistent blogger which I must confess is one of my pet peeves of blogs. I hate following someone's blog and getting into their lives and they stop writing! How annoying is that. It's like someone ripped off the last 20 pages of a novel, and I'm left with that feeling of "now what?". So I'm sorry. I'll try harder.

An update of my life:

-ran/walked my first 5km walk the other day. I probably ran about 2 km of it and they screwed up the route so it was more like 7 km. It rained the entire time, which felt amazing. At one point in time I was even cold. At the end you get a Popsicle, that sort of makes it worth while. This was just practice for last Tuesday night (running night) where it rained for 3 hours, all of which I managed to be out in. Soaked to the skin in under 5 mins. The rain is pretty much a solid sheet here.

-Every Tuesday is Dutch class. Last week's class almost killed Jenn and I. The student teaching us told us that store in Dutch is winkel. We just couldn't stop laughing. Looking back it's not even that funny, but it killed us.

-Biked downtown last night for the Suriname cultural fair. It was cool. We also had the world's most expensive ice cream, and we could have bought the same stuff at the corner store.

-Saturday was praise night. Basically that's mini church at one of the houses. It was fun. After we played Canasta, which is an Argentinian card game. It's quite fun and we had a good time playing. I haven't laughed that hard since the spider incident. At one point Jenn and Sam decided that my nickname should be Big Bird and I decided that I should stop speaking to them. I lasted longer then they thought I would, but only about 10 mins. It's too hard not to talk to the two people at your end of the table, especially when you're trying to tell them what cards you need!

I have a brand new student. He arrived today and speaks little English. It's been an interesting and fun day. I'm learning about my speak patterns because I have a mimic now. It's cute to listen to him repeat everything I say.

My school days are starting to lock into a routine and a pattern. It's almost report card time, which is a little stressful but I only have three kids and I practically live at school so I'm not terribly concerned.

Well, that's my past week or so in a nutshell. I will try to update more frequently.

3 comments:

  1. WoW!!! Rain falls down...I love it!!
    Keep writing
    xoxxoox Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Seems like a wonderful experience you are having their. Thinking of you. Rachel P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - running 5 k - I am impressed! love, Lori

    ReplyDelete