Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Home... (In two parts)

Part One:
Yesterday was Canadian Thanksgiving. We celebrated by ordering takeout from Pizza Hut and having it delivered. I was thankful for cheese and pepperoni last night, not turkey and potatoes.

It was weird to work yesterday; for 26 years I haven't worked on Canadian Thanksgiving, so to work yesterday felt strange. Yesterday was also the first day I truly wanted to go home, just for a brief period. Long enough to have stuffing and pie and see my family.

It's strange I don't live there, but for now it's still home. They say that you don't make the switch until after Christmas; that Suriname will be home after that. I hope that's true in a way. I love living here, but it's not home, not yet. It's the place where I live. It's the place where the floors are tiled not carpet, no one has grass, the seasons never seem to change and it is always hot. There are lots of good things too, things I love. But yesterday, I just wanted to go home. Just for a bit. I wonder if all holidays are like that?

(Totally fine today by the way! So it must just be a holiday thing. And I would only want to go visit and then return.)

Part Two:
Also: I really like using song titles or lyrics as the title of my posts. I think they usually sum up the post quite nicely. Here's a list of all the ones used so far, in case of curiosity:

-Bring Me to Life: Evanessance
-Rain Fell Down: Rolling Stones
-Have You Ever Seen the Rain: CCR
-Take my hand, we'll make it I swear: Bon Jovi (song: Livin' on a Prayer)
-And now the times are changin': Bryan Adams (song: Summer of '69)
-Every now and then: Bonnie Tyler (song: Total Eclipse of the Heart)
-Days Go By: Dirty Vegas
-Come as You Are: Nirvana

Google lyrics, if interested.

And today's post is Home by Michael Bubble.

1 comment:

  1. I think it will always be home..even if you never live here permanently again. Keep writing, it's wonderful.
    xoxo Dad

    ReplyDelete