Thursday, October 22, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (everywhere but here)...

My father just emailed me. It's the first snow of the year there. A part of me is sad, I love the first snow of the year. Another part though just thinks that's weird. It's so hot here I can't even fathom snow. But it's not hot in Canada, apparently it's cold enough to snow! You lose track of seasons when you don't experience them. All I know is currently it's hot and flip flops are a part of my everyday attire.

One of the reps from Mississippi is in town for a visit. Tonight in his honour we're running our very own 5km - the Tim Mudder Suriname 5km to be exact. (We're using our running route.) We also tie-dyed t-shirts so we could have our very own running shirts. We're cool like that. It turned out much better then expected, even if I did walk around with blue fingers for a day or so.

Last night we had dinner at a really good Indonesian restaurant. I love living here, because of all the different foods I get to eat. Last night's dinner was shrimp curry with white rice. Tasty!

Saturday we're thinking of going downtown to visit Beni's Christmas Palace. This is exactly like it sounds, a really fun store dedicated to Christmas ornaments. I would like to have icicle lights for the loft in my classroom and maybe some really fun sparkly Suriname made decorations for our non-existent Christmas tree. We may also go swimming! Then it will be off to the jazz festival. I don't even really like jazz, but I do like the opportunity to go out and not be a teacher for an evening, it's like a mini vacation before my real vacation; which is happening soon. Our trip to the interior is in 6 days! We've been counting down for the last 20. Soon, soon, soon it will be here!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun
    Glad you are enjoying yourself.Take care.
    xoxox Dad

    (you left out like)

    ReplyDelete