Thursday, June 3, 2010

Stayin' Alive...

Yes, I am still alive. I've just got swept away by life and let blogging get away from me for awhile.

May flew by. It was a blur of concerts, plays and art nights. It was a pretty fantastic month though. I managed to make an entire life size fairytale mixed media piece in about three for art night. I had so much "help" as well. ["Teacher I don't want to colour anymore", "Teacher are we done yet?".]

The Spring Concert might have been one of my highlights (and not because I was kind of the director). It was one of my favourite things because it was amazing to watch people come together and help. My coworkers are amazing and kind and generous and have such wonderful talents and I am so blessed by them. I also got help (real this time) from high school students who kept asking if I needed anything or who were volunteered to help me. It was an awesome time and the kids were amazing and cute and funny. And the whole thing is on video!! (Another of those amazing people did this!)

We saw a play put on by the drama class, it was fun and nicely ad libbed.

Got a little wet, because when does it not rain here?

Painted faces at a carnival.

And I wrote a paper. The English classes had an assignment to see if they could summarize their entire year and I gave it a try. Harder then it sounds. It took me 2 days, 10 different beginnings and about 30 Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams songs. Thunder Road is on permanent repeat in my brain. I've decided to paste the conclusion here, because my year is winding down and I'm heading back to visit Canada soon. So here are some of my brief thoughts on the past year:

Randomly, I can only write to classic rock ( which is a cliche that entirely my father's fault), so as I was writing this paper I had Summer of '69 playing and that one particular line stood out. "If I had the choice, yeah I'd always wanna be there". I might not have made the choice to come to Suriname, but I made the choice to follow where God called and He brought me here. Looking back over this paper I realize that if this were my choice, I would make the same one every time. I would always choose this path, this country, and this life. I would always choose to end that relationship, get on that plane and let God change my life for the better. I have been so blessed by following God here and letting him lead me. The next line of the song is "Those were the best days of my life", and maybe the song is right, that these are some of the best days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment