Monday, June 28, 2010

Airplanes... (and sail boats)

I like airports, particularly the arrivals gate. I love the enthusiasm and the excitement that is there. I love the feeling I get in my stomach as my plane touches down in Fredericton, the feeling that there are people on the other side of that wall waiting for me and I can't wait to see them.

I like being home. The reverse culture shock is wearing off a bit and I'm getting to do things that I love. I love being able to walk up and see my family. I like being able to buy books in English and buy clothes that are quality and have the sales people speak to me. I also love catching up with people I haven't seen in a while.

I went to Saint Andrews yesterday with one of my sisters, grandmother and one of my aunts. It was so much fun. I love the way the ocean smells and the feeling of smallness I get when I stand in front of it; like I'm just a small piece of a giant puzzle. I love the boats and the waterfront and the little shops and friendliness of people.

I love getting to sit around with my friends and talk and laugh and act like we just haven't had thousands of miles separate us. I love that distance never really seems to come between the best of friends.

I watched my littlest sister graduate on Friday and was incredibly proud. She also looked beautiful at the prom. I remember graduating high school and being feeling scared and brave all at the same time. I'm not sure that feeling ever goes away, even as you grow.

I sometimes forget how funny my sisters are, how vibrant my best friend's personality is, how sweet and wonderful the girls I used to work with are; how much I love listening to my mother play the piano and how much I love just being able to stick my head into my dad's office to say hello.

It's nice to be home to remember, to have a break, see people and to get hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment