Saturday, February 27, 2010

Oh, Canada (or Go, Canada)...

[Patriotism: love for or devotion to one's country]

I admit it. I'm one of many in a generation of Canadians who are apathetic towards patriotism. In truth, strong patriotism weirds me out. I don't necessarily believe my country is the best and strongest one in the world and that everyone should follow our way and I'm wary of anyone with that attitude toward their own country.

The longer I live abroad however, the more I realize there are certain things that will inspire patriotism in me. The main one right now is the Olympics or more specifically: Hockey.

Okay, I know this one is a little (a lot) cliche. But hockey might be the thing that makes me the most patriotic; particularly with the gold medal game for the Olympics coming up. I'm rooting for the home team.

I really can't even define how this makes me patriotic. I could tell you that this is Canada's game and yes there are great players from every other country but there is something particular about why we're better. I could tell you that I love sitting in a room with all of my friends or family and cheering for the teams until we're hoarse.

I'm at least 6000 miles away from Vancouver and yet I'm trying hard to find a place to watch tomorrow's gold medal game. Do I want Canada to win? Yes. Do I believe they deserve it? Yes. Do I believe they are better then the US team? Yes. Will they win? Hopefully. Will I be rooting for them every step of the way, even if I'm at my computer watching the score change? Yes!!

I believe that hockey is one of the things that unites Canadians; East coast, West Coast, up North, it doesn't matter where tomorrow there will be millions of people watching 5 men on ice chase a little black circular thing around. I think that hockey makes us believe we can be more, we can believe in something and we have a common interest and goal that we can all support. As a country we have so many divisions on issues but this is something we can all get behind and believe in. We are Canadian, hockey is our game and no one plays it quite like we do.

So from one Canadian to another, where ever you are tomorrow: Go, Canada, Go!!

2 comments:

  1. GOOOOOOO CANADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! You could probably hear Gram clapping all the way from Fredericton! I tried to call you but no one was home - hope you found a place to watch the game! Took an Atlantic Canadian to score the winner!
    Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... Yeah!!! and yes, it is surreal to watch Canada win as you are standing screaming in a hotel lobby in Texas .. thankfully no one was too annoyed ! Yeah Canada! Lori

    ReplyDelete