"If you think education is expensive, you should try ignorance."
I have no idea who said that, but I love it. I just read one of the best books called Half the Sky and mostly it was about how to improve the lives of women all over the world. The part that really stuck with me was all about educating girls. It costs next to nothing but it will improve society if women are education. As a teacher I'm for education for everyone, but particularly women. It kills me that some societies deny girls something basic as the opportunity to read. Reading and writing are just things that I take for granted. I knew that I would go to school and have the opportunities to learn, yet not everyone gets that privilege. There is so much that we don't even think about living in the first world. So many opportunities we don't even realize we have and so many things we whine about doing (like working) that so many people would love to have the opportunity to do all over the world.
So I guess this is a post about appreciating what you've got. I know I learnt a lesson this week when the hot water went away and I had to shower in cold. I mean I still had a shower but you don't know how much you appreciate hot water until you don't have it anymore.
PS - Hot water fixed now. Hallelujah!
No comments:
Post a Comment