Friday, January 1, 2010

Auld Lang Syne*...

I know I haven't blogged much about being home and probably I won't because it's been such a whirlwind. And I want to keep some of those memories just for me. Let me just say I'm having a wonderful time with family and friends. Now on to what I really want to blog about...

Happy New Year!!

A quick thing about me you should know - those email surveys that go around with like a 100 questions all about yourself - Love them! Last year someone sent me one entitled Goodbye 2008 and it was all about what you had or had not done that year. Some of the questions are silly but some actually made me think about what I actually wanted to do with my life in the future and what I was doing with it in the present.

It starts off with this question: What did you do this year that you had never done before?

If I were answering for 2009 I would say: moved to South America, hiked in the rain forest, taught my own class, drove on the left side of the road, visited Memphis, and lived with people I had never met before. I'm sure there is more, this is just a sampling.

When I started 2009 I had no idea that this would be my answer to that question. I had no idea that I would be living in South America teaching kindergarten. I just figured my life would go in the direction I had planned it to: degree, relationship, teaching at home... and that was not in the plan at all; clearly God had other ideas. Got the degree, but nothing else stayed according to my plan. But as I look on 2009 I have to say God's plan was definitely better: get degree, get passport and go. It was hard and scary and at times I thought I was crazy but it honestly has been one of the most worthwhile things I've ever done. It's still hard and scary some days but it's also been funny and rewarding and full of people who make my life better everyday (family, roommates, students, co-workers...just in case you needed a list).

So the ultimate answer to what have I done in 2009 that I have never done before? Been brave and followed a plan that wasn't of my own design. And what a ride it has been.

*Auld Lang Syne - comes from a 1780s poem by Robert Burns and basically translates to days gone by. It's a song sung mostly on New Year's Eve now.

No comments:

Post a Comment