Saturday, January 2, 2010

Come Back Home...

I was asked to speak in church tomorrow, just a brief 4 min presentation about what my life in Suriname is like. I have slides and pictures and something to say but really how can fit four months into four minutes? It's like cliff notes at its minimum. I've hit the highlights: students, house, school, city, rainforest... But sometimes it's what I'm not saying about those things that are the best parts.

I'm showing pictures of my street, but I can't even begin to describe the pot holes (massive), the neighbours (sweet, she cooks for us) and the lake at the base of our driveway when it rains (deep). I do mention that my students are rewarding and I love them and that they are what God has sent me there for; but what I'm not saying is that as much as I'm affecting their lives, they are changing mine even more. They are one of the single best and most frustrating part of my day and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The pictures of the rain forest can't describe the majesty, the scope of it and just how small you feel standing in it. What God can create is awe inspiring and amazing. The air is cooler there, less oppressive then the city which can feel like it is pressing down on you. The picture doesn't show how grateful you are for the two minute shower when there finally is water, even if it is the most freezing shower ever.

I am so grateful to be back for Christmas and to have this opportunity to speak tomorrow to tell people about my life but it occurred to me as I was preparing this that I miss it. I miss the rain and the crowds and the corner store with that adorable kid who sits on the counter. I miss the slowness of the pace, the idea that time isn't something to worry about. This little piece of South America has really started to become home for me.

It's strange when the places switch, when the place you live becomes home and when home becomes the place you visit. But it's a good strange; you start to feel less like a visitor and more like someone who lives their life there. It's a little conflicting as well but those are the feelings that makes you human because you will always miss something, somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Well written, and well said!
    Love you always, wherever your are making your home... and your home will also be wherever we are, for you will always be in our hearts.
    xoxo mum

    ReplyDelete