Sometimes God sends us reminders of why we need to be where we are, or why we need to be doing what we're doing. Especially when it seems pointless or tiring or never ending. And this week I got my reminder of why I wanted to teach and why I love this job. I had a kid read to me! This doesn't seem like much, but it is amazing beyond belief. He just rattled the book off and I wanted to cry I was so proud. Illiteracy just kills me, why any child is deprived of this feeling is beyond me. But this whole moment showed that when you're feeling the drought, God will send the rain.
There have been lots of other things going on, American Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping and my personal favourite - classroom decorating for Christmas. The boys and I learnt how to make snow flakes out of paper and now it looks like a blizzard hit my class. Every day I hear "can we make snow now?". It makes me laugh. They want to see real snow, and are fascinated by it.
I've never realized how much I take snow for granted, or how much I miss seasons until I don't have them. Time seems to be frozen here, in a permanent spot because there is nothing to mark the passing of it. I know it's the 4th because my calendar tells me so but nothing about outside tells me that. You get used to the stillness of time here.
And for those of you who don't know - 21 days till Christmas. We're counting down. Everyday I'm asked "Is it Christmas yet, teacher?"
Nice post. You've made me think about the seasons and yes I suspect it's very strange having no seasonal reminders of the passing of time. I'll try to remember that when it's cold this winter and complain less. I just wish my favourite season - Fall, would last longer.
ReplyDeleteBarbie