Sunday, September 5, 2010

What Would You Do?

I should be reading for class. I feel like I'm back in university with that statement but I'm the teacher. Sometimes that just feels so surreal. Year two of my teaching career. This year it's high school. It's a different type of challenge but so far I'm loving every minute of it. My big goal is to teach them that reading can change their lives; the way they see the world. We'll see if I'm successful.

Life in Suriname seems to never change; go to the pool on the weekends, plan on Sundays, hang out with some great people. I like the steadiness of that but sometimes the cabin fever seems to set in. To off set it Jenn and I are starting to take Tae Kwon Do. It should be interesting, if I don't hurt myself. I think it could become a real cool stress relief tool, as well as something new to do. I think I need hobbies!

This afternoon it started to rain which wouldn't have been a problem if the school car window hadn't rolled down and never rolled up again. We managed to get a garbage bag and tape it in place. We're breaking the new girls in Suriname style which means by just breaking things. Although I do solemnly swear that I did not break the window. No one will believe me, but it's the truth!

3 comments:

  1. Reading can change their lives...keep on that!
    Maybe it's time for a new car!!
    xoxo Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ashley,
    I love you,
    and love to read this blog..

    today, I got a laugh, I can just picture you girls,
    somedays, I cry a tear,
    but always, you make it real, and you make me feel what you are feeling....
    and I love that too!!

    Keep writing always, mum, xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi .. just finally happy to see you blogging again, I've missed you :) Lori

    ReplyDelete